Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Brian Koenig

Name, how old are you, and for how long have you been juggling?

Brian Koenig, 15 years old, and I’ve been juggling a bit over a year and a half.

At what point did you know that juggling was what you wanted to do, and would make up a critical part of your life?

After I began going to my high school’s juggling club, I quickly became better than anyone there. Once I discovered I had a knack for juggling, I just couldn’t stop.

To date, what is the most unusual thing or set of things that you have juggled?

I juggled 3 sets of 2 golf balls tied together, with holes drilled through them, then connected by about 6-7 inches of string. They look like this: O------O

What has your juggling career entailed so far?

So far my juggling career has entailed one performance at a local all girl school. My juggling club and I performed a 20 minute routine, and at the time, I had been juggling about 5 months. I was the main performer and that made me quite nervous. I pretty much bombed every single trick I did with clubs.

What accomplishments are you most proud of?

I am most proud of my numbers work. I started off as an “instant” juggler, but I think that I have since gone back, covered the basics, and am now at a level that I can comfortably work on high numbers. 9 beanbags is my favorite number to juggle because it just looks really tight when anyone runs nine.

Do you specialize in any auxiliary props or non juggling circus arts?

I do a fair amount of soccer ball juggling, along with cigar boxes and ball spinning. I am currently working on 5 soccer balls, cigar box pirouettes, and my 2 ball stack.

Generally speaking, do you wear socks while you juggle?

Socks yes, shoes, no. I don’t like to wear shoes because I just love burning holes through the soles of my socks. Really, it gives me an adrenaline rush.

At what types of venues do you usually perform?

I don’t really perform, so, yeah…

Anything amusing or unique ever happen at one of these shows?

You might wanna totally disregard this question.

Are you a clown?

I am if you’re using it as an adjective, but, I am not a clown in a literal sense. Juggling and clowning aren’t necessarily related, nor will I be doing any relating of the two any time soon.

What makes up a standard juggling practice for you?

Picking up my props and starting wherever I want. I have no structure, besides going from less to more, although, sometimes I will try to flash 10 cold. I just like switching it up and keeping it fresh. So basically its 3-10 balls, 3-6 clubs, and 3-8 rings.

What is it that will make you want to pick up your props tomorrow and keep juggling?

The visible progress of my juggling. I only knew of juggling 2 years ago, and I never dreamed I’d be doing it. Now, I’m working on tons of new things, and getting kinda good.

What goals are you currently working towards?

I’m currently focused on 5 ball backcrosses, flashing 11 balls, and getting good at clubs. I also have been having fun messing around with crotch throw combinations with balls.

Which prop is your favorite to juggle? Any specific reasoning?

My favorite props are rings, because they rock. This is because they have their own unique traits just as clubs do, like being able to be pancaked, or pulled down.

Are there any specific jugglers that inspire you?

Peter Bone, for his work on numbers, and Anthony Gatto because he is just awesome. Chris Fowler has been quite an inspiration as well because he was one of the first numbers jugglers I really ever saw, and he’s a great juggler in general.

Do you have any “claims to fame” in the juggling community?

Not really, although some people have been a little impressed by my numbers juggling. Also, I believe I am one of a few people( if any) who can qualify 3 ball alberts and trebles.

Where do you see yourself in terms of juggling in a month, a year, 10 years?

A month? Probably getting back into normal practices outside because it will be warmer. A year? Working on 11 and 12 balls. Hopefully qualifying 10 balls, and getting started on 7 clubs.

Art or Sport?

Whatever. I honestly couldn’t care less.

Balls, Beanbags, or Russians?

I prefer beanbags, being a numbers juggler, and they are much more forgiving for collisions and such.

If there is one thing you would like the juggling community to know about you, what would it be?

That I’m not just that instant juggler kid who goes around bragging about how long I’ve been juggling and how good I am. Also, I’m not top posting anymore, and that I have matured beyond all that stuff since then.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!